A quick cheat sheet for understanding council approvals

Date Thursday, 9 July 2015 12:00 AM

The road to a new home is lined with mounds of bureaucratic red tape that can be a real challenge to unravel.

Building with G.J. Gardner eliminates most of these headaches as we'll take care of all the paperwork on your behalf. From the development application to the occupation certificate, we know the ins and outs of the various regional councils of Australia, which allows us to speed up the approval process and get started on building your dream home.

G.J. Gardner can help you take care of all the necessary paperwork to build your dream home.G.J. Gardner can help you take care of all the necessary paperwork to build your dream home.

While the specific steps may vary slightly from state to state, most regions will require you to fulfil a series of tests and checks before your home builder can get started on the job. Not sure what this process involves? We've put together a quick cheat sheet of what you can expect from the council approval process:

1. Speaking with your local council 

Long before the first drop of concrete is poured, we'll have a chat with your local council to learn about the obligations and any unique approvals we'll need to obtain before building can commence. Your specific house and land package, as well as the geographic location can all influence the type of paperwork we'll need to fill out and the standards your design will need to meet before building can commence. Every home is unique, so in many cases a one-size-fits-all mentality doesn't work. 

2. Applying for a development application (DA)

Nearly always issued by the council, though occasionally also by a state agency, a DA certifies that your home's design is compliant with the region's planning requirements for safety, preservation and efficiency. This criteria might include information on soil and water management, traffic noise level, flora and fauna impact, inundation solutions and more. 

3. Obtaining a construction certificate (CC)

After we've received the thumbs up from the appropriate bodies after applying for the DA, we're now in a position to obtain a CC. This ensures that the plans are in line with the Building Code of Australia and satisfy all local requirements. After receiving the CC, your builder can get started on construction.

4. Acquiring an occupation certificate 

The final document we'll help you organise is the occupation certificate. This form allows your building to be used for its intended purpose - congratulations, you can now move in! An occupation certificate also allows you to sell your home to another party.

There's a lot of paperwork needed before work on your home can begin. To learn more about council regulations, get in touch with your local G.J. Gardner branch and find out how we can simplify the approvals process.

Get In Touch

Looking for more information? Please select your enquiry type below, follow the prompts and we’ll get in touch as soon as possible.

Select a Location